The Charles Bridge, built in the 14th century, is Prague’s oldest surviving river bridge and a key landmark. The 516-meter-long bridge connects the Old Town with the Lesser Town and is famous for its statues. Once the coronation route of Bohemian kings, it now attracts thousands of tourists annually.
Table of Contents
Charles Bridge – Landmark of Prague
Built in the 14th century, the Charles Bridge is one of the oldest stone bridges in Europe, replacing a 10th-century wooden bridge. Emperor Charles IV initiated its construction to replace the Judith Bridge, which was destroyed by floods. The 516-meter-long and approximately 10-meter-wide structure with 16 arches served as an important trade and war center. Throughout its history, the bridge has been repeatedly threatened and damaged by floods but has always been repaired. In 1648, at the end of the Thirty Years’ War, it was a battleground.
Charles Bridge – one of the oldest stone bridges in Europe
Around 1700, the Charles Bridge took on its present appearance, with thirty symmetrically arranged baroque sculptures. The bridge towers are particularly striking: The Gothic Old Town Bridge Tower from 1370–1380 with its preserved east facade displays coats of arms and the symbolic kingfisher for Wenceslas IV. The Lesser Town Bridge Towers, partly from the Judith Bridge, include a Romanesque tower rebuilt in the Renaissance style and a taller tower erected in 1464. Since 1870, the bridge has officially been named Charles Bridge; before that, it was called the Stone Bridge or Prague Bridge. The Old Town Bridge Tower offers an impressive view.
Karlův most, 110 00 Praha 1, Czech Republic
The bridge is freely accessible and has no specific opening hours.